This page is under construction!
Linguistics: Prof. Dr. Manfred Sailer
FW 1.1 Introduction to Linguistics
You will learn about the major subdisciplines of linguistics (phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics). We will also address typical misconceptions about language that you are likely to be confronted with in your future teaching practice.
All participants do the Teilnahmenachweis, only L1 students do a Leistungsnachweis in this course. In many instances of this course, you will do online attendance tests and write one or two short essays (Teilnahmenachweis) and an electronic exam (Leistungsnachweis).
There are, however, difference with respect to the Modulprüfung, which is a written exam.
- L1: You can do the Modulprüfung either in this course or in the introduction to Literary Studies.
- L2/L5: You will do a Modulteilprüfung in two out of the three submodules that you are taking. (There will be additional req
- L3: You do a Modulteilprüfung in this course.
- Wirtschaftspädagogik: You do a Modulteilprüfung in this course.
FW 2A.2 or FW 2B.2
(only L2/L5, L3, and Wirtschaftspädagogik)
In this submodule you will do a linguistic Proseminar. There is typically a choice of courses such as Syntax 1, Semantics 1, in-depth introductions to other subdisciplines of linguistics. There is also a course Survey of English Grammar, which is particularly designed for Lehramt students.
All participants will do a Teilnahmenachweis, L2/5 and L3 students also need and a Leistungsnachweis. There are, however, some differences with respect to the other course requirements:
- L2/L5: You can do the Modulprüfung in this course or in the other submodule of FW 2. Typically, the Modulprüfung is a 90 minutes written exam (2 CP). Depending on the course, it can also be a short term paper (2 CP, 9-11 pages).
- L3: You can do the Modulprüfung in this course or in the other submodule of FW 2. Große Hausarbeit (4 CP, 19-21 pages). Often, the linguistic courses in this module are not well suited for a long term paper. Talk to your lecutrer early on in the term to find out what is possible in the particular course you are taking.
- WiPäd: There might be special Teilnahme requirements as you get 3 CP.
You can do the Modulprüfung in this course or in the other submodule of FW 2. Typically, the Modulprüfung is a 90 minutes written exam (2 CP). Depending on the course, it can also be a short term paper (2 CP, 9-11 pages).
You will look at subdisciplines of linguistics from a more advanced perspective to enable you to critically review recent trends in the field and/or to pursue a well-definied research question.
This submodule is at the level of a traditional Hauptseminar. You will do a Leistungsnachweis in this course. You can do a Modulprüfung in addition, which would be a long term paper (4 CP, 19-21 pages).
You can deepen your understanding of linguistics in this submodule. From the spirit of the overall module (“Expanded cultural studies”), it is most natural to take a class with a focus on the relation between language and extra-linguistic factors (so, for examples historical linguistics, sociolinguistics, bilingualism, …)
This submodule is at the level of a traditional Hauptseminar. You will do a Leistungsnachweis. You can write a long term paper (4 CP, 19-21 pages) as the Modulprüfung in this submodule or in the other submodule of FW 4 (cultural studies).
- Kleine Hausarbeit 1 CP: 4-6 pages (1,800 characters per page)
- Kleine Hausarbeit 2 CP: 9-11 pages
- Große Hausarbeit 3 CP: 14-16 pages
- Große Hausarbeit 4 CP: 19-21 pages
You can do parts of your final Staatsexamen exams in linguistics.
You will work on your wissenschaftliche Hausarbeit for 12 weeks and it should be about XX pages long.
Please contact a lecturer to talk about possible topics and particular requirements for your Staatsexamen thesis.
The Fachklausur is a four-hour written exam. Our lecturers offer a wide variety of possible topics, though each one has her or his own special areas. Please contact the lecturer of your choice to agree on topics for the final exam and the exact format of the questions.
The oral exam is 30 minutes long. Our lecturers offer a wide variety of possible topics, though each one has her or his own special areas. Please contact the lecturer of your choice to agree on topics.
- General documents for download:
Note: There is a new Prüfungsordnung, 20.8.2018, but the Modulscheine are still for the 2015 Prüfungsordnung!
- L1: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/63261873/20_Fachspezifische-Anhaenge-und-Modulscheine-L1
- L2: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/63261887/30_Fachspezifische-Anhaenge-und-Modulscheine-L2
- L3: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/63261901/40_Fachspezifische-Anhaenge-und-Modulscheine-L3
- L5: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/63261915/50_Fachspezifische-Anhaenge-und-Modulscheine-L5